Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Unintentional New Year's Resolutions

I've never really been one for new years resolutions. I've never been unhappy enough with my weight to launch an attack on fat and I've never really been an "advance your career in the new year" kind of person. And to be perfectly honest, I'm just not all that ambitious. No, no, it's OK. It's not like I don't get things done, it's just, I'm about as type B as it is possible to be. Never do today what you don't have to do until next week. That's my motto.

Anyway, I digress. The point is this, I have several unintentional resolutions that God has put on my heart. It's not like I sat down and thought about them, more like I found myself doing things differently on purpose and it happened to be the beginning of January. Also, they are not all major things. Some are actually quite dull like: "wear my glasses more."

Here is the very short list of things that I will be doing differently in 2013:

1) Wear glasses more. I already said this one, but it's so necessary. Remember the Brian Regan sketch about putting his glasses on? "I coulda been seein' things!" Seriously, I say that every time I put them on! Pregnancy and my eyes did not agree.

2) Make new friends. This is something that is hard for me. I am introverted by nature. A day well spent is one in my pajamas watching movies with my family. It's not that I don't want friends. I just have a hard time taking a relationship from a conversation at church to a real, meet for coffee, care about each others families kind of relationship. It's also not that I don't like people, because I do. It's that I am afraid that they don't really like me. That they are somehow humoring me at church but secretly thinking "whew! glad she finally left!" The point is, it has allowed me to make excuses and end up 26 years old without any real, lasting friendships from people that are not blood related or legally bound to me. 

3) Take the ProTeach assessment. Not only do I have to do this to keep my teaching licence, but I want to prove to myself that I am a good enough teacher to do it. I have huge test anxiety. So I have been putting this off for about three years, but the time has come, as the walrus said (you know to talk of many things? anyway...). So that will be on the docket this year. There is one major hurdle however, the test itself costs quite a bit to take, so we're really praying for financial provision for the test and also the class that you take before the test.

So there you have it. A better me in 2013. Well, with Heavenly assistance that is. What are your resolutions this year, intentional or otherwise?

Jillian

P.S. here's the video of Brian Regan's sketch about the eye doctor. Watch it. It's hilarious!



No comments:

Post a Comment