Sunday, January 20, 2013

Kipper the Dog

As Mommy to a one year old I try not to turn on the TV to often. For several reasons. First of all, Wiggles doesn't understand a whole lot of plot. To be honest, I'm not so sure I understand the mind numbing plots of some of the kids shows either. Second, I want her to have time to play and use up all of her energy so she sleeps well (can I get an amen?). And lastly, there aren't that many that I actually enjoy watching. Now, here comes the but... 

But I love Kipper. In fact, everyone in the house loves Kipper, Grandparents, Daddy and Uncle included. I have even caught I mean found Pat watching it after Wiggles goes to bed. To be fair he had been snuggling her before her nap and it just happened to still be on. However, the fact that there wasn't a stampede for the remote to change the show was remarkable.

Here's why I like Kipper: Kipper is simple. No, not simple minded, just... unhindered. He and his best friend Tiger basically just hang out and we watch their play time. There are some other characters and there is some conflict (and by conflict I mean they were fishing and it started raining so they had to stop etc.), but basically it's relaxing. Daddy and Wiggles watch Kipper together at least once a day and by the end of a ten minute episode both of them are practically asleep! It's that calm. 


Daddy and Kipper. It's a good evening! He's gonna kill me for using this picture...
However, Patrick and I have come across several holes in this show (much like every other kids show. Does Dora's mother know she's out crossing mountains and fording rivers with a monkey?) that I think need addressing. 

1. How old is Kipper supposed to be? He is completely self-sufficient and does everything from pour cereal to strip wall paper (no lie), but he still thinks blowing up a balloon is hilarious. Really Kipper?

2. Doesn't any one have any parents? This is a common question in kids shows. Seriously, where did they all go? Dora has no parents, Max and whats-her-face have no parents, Kipper has no parents, even the teenage Power Rangers are shockingly guardian-free.

3. Where did Arnold come from? In the show Kipper has another friend named Pig who is, can you guess? That's right, a pig. Pig has this little pig named Arnold that follows him around everywhere and never speaks. I mean, not even a snoopy-like chuckle every now and again. Although, now that I think about it, he does occasionally suck his thumb a la Maggie Simpson. So who is this mystery piglet? Who does he belong to? Is he Pigs little brother? Tragic orphan? Illegitimate, but ultimately, lovable son? I hear tell that he is somehow Pig's cousin, but if this is true, that means both Pig and Arnold must have parents somewhere, but I've never seen them.

and last, but not least

4. Why is Pig just called Pig? Everyone else has names (albeit somewhat confusing ones. Why a gray terrier called is Tiger I'll never know.). But poor sad Pig is just left with his species. Although, if you watch the show you don't feel to sorry for him. He's a little self-focused. But what self-sufficient, cousin babysitting, wall paper stripping 3-year-old isn't?

All that said, seriously, turn on Netflix and enjoy. We love Kipper at our house.

This is my favorite episode. Start at 3min 30sec. Adorable!

No comments:

Post a Comment