Sunday, November 18, 2012

A "Conversation" With My Husband

I'm trying to cook healthy meals for my family on a budget. That often means there is no meat involved in dinner (too expensive). The other night I decided to try a recipe that I found on pinterest involving quinoa, the new "it" food. Feels like a carb, works like a protien. Plus it's cheap. Hoorah! The recipie I followed was supposed to taste like mac n' cheese, except with quinoa instead of noodles. Sounds great right? Well, between beautiful fluffy picture and gloopy weird reality, something got lost in translation. I'm not even going to show you a picture to compare because I'm sure if you do it right the recipe is fantastic and I don't want to bad mouth the person who made the original. Long story short, this is a paraphrased version of the conversation between Pat and I after tasting the aforementioned mess:

Me (from the kitchen): Ummm... It looks weird... I hope it's ok?

Pat: Oh, I'm sure it's great

Me: I'm not so sure. It looks sorta funky.

Pat (takes a bite thinking he can be honest because I have already stated that it's funny looking): Um, well, it's got a funny texture. I think it's a little bitter. More cheese maybe.

Me (dejected): I know it's weird, you don't have too eat it. I bet it's really weird. Here let me try it. (pause for chewing). Yeah, it's weird

Pat (tasting the aspasugus, which he always says is fantastic, and then making a face): Um... is the asparugus under done? (Then seeing my face) I mean! It's fantastic, I love it! And you know, the quinoa mac, isn't so bad either. I mean! It's delicious. Yum!

Me (hurt face): You don't have to say that. (Takes another bite, still dejected about the hour wasted making a yucky meal.)

Pat (being an awesome husband): No really I love it!

Me (suddenly happier and able to honetly evaluate the atrocity before me): That's ok. I think it's gross. You don't have to like it. It's disgusting.

Pat (throws hands up with a slight smile): Women!

PS. Pat actually finished the whole plate! That's love I tell you. Cause friends, it was awful!

Jillian

No comments:

Post a Comment